VeteransList Helps Your Veteran-Owned Business Be Found (PS032)
Meet Rick Yost
Rick’s a serial entrepreneur and the co-founder of VeteransList. A service-disabled veteran himself, Rick brings his military experience as an Army officer (12+ years), extensive education, startup experience, and his business experience to bear in consulting, entrepreneurship, and providing support to multiple businesses.
Additionally, Rick volunteers as secretary and board member for the U.S. Army Ranger Association.
Before becoming an Army officer and trekking out into the world, Rick grew up in a small town in South Dakota and loves to golf, hunt, and ski.
Rick resides in Los Altos, CA with his loving wife where they are devoted parents to four children and one Labrador retriever ranging in age from 2 to 23 years.
I met Rick at TechStars Patriot Boot Camp, and we’re both planning on attending DigitalMilEx in San Antonio.
VeteransList helps veteran-owned business succeed by helping customers, who want to do business with veterans, find them.
- RallyPoint: You can find service members and veterans like you, discuss military life, and share professional opportunities on the largest growing military network.
In today’s episode, Rick answers:
- What are the main benefits to attending conferences?
- Tell us the story about how you came up with the idea for your business?
- What are the main benefits to signing up for your website?
- What was a mistake you made when starting your first business?
- What’s a challenge you’re experiencing right now?
- What’s one thing you’re doing really well right now?
- What’s your business model?
- As a co-founder, how do you split up your roles between you and your partner?
- How would you like people to remember you and your company?
- What do you do on a daily basis to grow as an entrepreneur?
- Who do you like to learn from?
- What do you think about a Veteran Shark Tank?
- If you could offer a first-time veteran entrepreneur only one piece of advice, what would it be?
Key Topics discussed:
- Benefits of attending conferences
- Simple, but effective Kickstarter tips
- Connecting suppliers with veteran-owned businesses
- Monetizing your business
Apps and Articles Mentioned
- Josh Steinman: Veteran Steps into Luxury Sock Industry. For a 15% discount off of Penance Hall’s luxury american-made socks, use POPSMOKE promo code here.
- Kelly Perdew: Angel investor and Apprentice 2 winner shares his insights and experiences to veteran entrepreneurs on The PopSmoke Show.
- Mark Rockefeller: StreetShares goal is to fund the next great generation of veteran small businesses.
Favorite Business App and Weapon
- HubSpot: HubSpot is an inbound marketing and sales platform that helps companies attract visitors, convert leads, and close customers.
Recommended Business Books
- Hide a Dagger Behind A Smile by Kaihan Krippendorf
Every champion was once a contender that just didn’t give up.
Share a Quote
You are not alone. ~ Rick Yost
Like this show? Please give it a share.