Inside the Mind of a Social Media Director and Podcaster (PS031)
Meet Dan Evans
Dan Evans is the Social Media Marketing Director for Marine Corps Recruiting West.
Dan is responsible for developing and rolling out a comprehensive social media strategy for over 1,000 recruiters across the Western U.S.
In addition to being a Marine, Dan is a fellow podcaster, and a husband and father of three.
Below is a video Dan created to showcase recruiter generated content.
About Military Entrepreneur Podcast
Military Entrepreneur Podcast is a resource for transitioning military members to learn from successful veteran entrepreneurs.
- RallyPoint: Join military members and veterans interested in military transition. Share your knowledge and build your network.
In today’s episode, Dan answers:
- How did you become the Social Media Director for Marine Corps Recruiting West?
- How much time do you devote each day to each social media platform?
- What social media platform do you find gives the best return on time invested?
- How do you measure success and what metric does the Marine Corps care about?
- You have more than 13,000 followers on Twitter. What’s the key to growing an audience of more than 10,000 followers?
- What things do you consider when deciding to share something through the official USMC social media channels?
- What do you find to be the most relevant techniques and strategies to gain followers on social media?
- What was a mistake you made as the Social Media Director for Marine Corps Recruiting West?
- What podcasts have influenced you as a podcast host?
- How do you prep for a podcast episode?
- How do you plan on monetizing your podcast?
- What’s a great habit you’re doing right now?
Key Topics discussed:
- Marine Corps recruiting via social media
- How the Marine Corps Recruiting West creates content
- Facebook metrics to pay attention to
- Earning money with a podcast
- Whether to do a video podcasts or not
- Bullet Journaling: The analog system for the digital age.
Apps and Articles Mentioned
- Eric Thomas keeps it 100. I recommending listen to his #TGIM YouTube videos or mixtape while working out.
- Pat Flynn Smart Passive Income
- Command Your Business by Scott Fussell: Military Veteran Entrepreneurship And Business Ownership.
- Success Vets by Byron Chen: Inspiring stories, awesome tips, and helpful resources for veterans.
- Inbound 15: HubStop’s Inbound fuels the passion that drives the most innovative and successful business leaders of our time.
- Inc. 500 Military Entrepreneur Program: A resource for veterans, service members, and military spouses to start, run, and grow their own businesses.
- Moleskine Journal: What Dan uses to write notes and schedule his day.
- Screenflow: The weapon Matt uses to edit The PopSmoke Show.
Favorite Business Books
- Outwitting The Devil by Napoleon Hill: Dan highly recommends the Audible version. You can download the audiobook for free on Audible (an Amazon company) right here.
- The Best Year Ever by Jim Rohn: Jim Rohn will show you how simple it is to begin to turn your dreams into reality!
- Do the Work by Steven Pressfield: Shows you that it’s not about better ideas, it’s about actually doing the work. Do the Work is a weapon against Resistance – a tool that will help you take action and successfully ship projects out the door.
- Tribes by Seth Godin: We Need You to Lead Us
- Purple Cow by Seth Godin: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable
Share a Quote
It is literally true that you can succeed best and quickest by helping others to succeed. ~ Napoleon Hill
Like this show? Please give it a share.