If You’re Playing the Solo Game, You’ll Always Lose out to a Team (PS004)
Meet Kristine Schellhaas
My friend Kristine Schellhaas is Marine spouse; the first ever featured spouse on The PopSmoke Show.
Kristine founded USMC Life in 2009 as a way to inspire, connect and educate Marine Corps families.
She’s a two-time base military spouse of the year winner and has dedicated more than 10,000 volunteer hours serving military families.
I met Kristine at 1776, an entrepreneur hub for startups in Washington D.C. and then in D.C. again for Inc. 500’s Military Entrepreneur Program.
Recently, Kristine sold USMC Life. She’s now pursuing and growing her personal brand and has a book coming out this summer.
About USMC Life
USMC Life was founded as a way to inspire, connect and educate Marine Corps families.
- RallyPoint: Start connecting and learning from thousands of veterans. You can sign up for Free to join the largest professional military community.
In episode 4, I ask Kristine:
- What was 1 mistake you made when starting your business?
- Why’d you decide to sell your baby, despite having a thriving Facebook community?
- How did you start building your team beyond just yourself?
- How did you grow different Facebook groups at the same time?
- What do you use to process your payments from sponsors?
- What’s 1 challenge you’re facing right now when transitioning to growing your personal brand?
- Who are you hosting your website with?
- What do you use for internal communication to manage your team?
- How do you ensure you continue to share quality articles to your audience?
- What was your initial impression of the PopSmoke website?
Key Topics discussed:
- Time management and productivity: How Kristine manages her business and family.
- Selling a company. Great article by Stu McLaren on “Why he decided to sell his business.”
- Branding yourself vs. branding your company
- How to improve your Facebook group or page
- Google Adsense for your business
- Kristine’s Google Adsense Partner: Email Matt at OKO Digital here.
- Download Unlabel: Selling You Without Selling Out by Marc Ecko on Audible for Free. Like Kristine talks about in the show, this book is heavily focused on the subject of authenticity; one of PopSmoke’s Core Values. Ecko shares how he turned a $5,000 investment into a billion dollar brand. This book is one of my favorite reads too. The hardcover edition for this book is a work of art in and of itself.
Timing, perseverance and ten years of trying will eventually make you look like an overnight success. ~ Biz Stone, co-founder of Twitter
- Download 4 Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris on Audible for Free. The 4 Hour Work Week explains what a lifestyle entrepreneur is and why you should want to become one. It teaches you how to “kill” your job and design a life, the 80/20 rule and how it increases productivity, how to replace your dreams with goals, and more.
- Stories Around the Table by Elva Resa: Military spouses, parents, children, and service members gather together to laugh, cry and share personal stories from their military life experience.
- 15 Years of War by Kristine Schellhaas: Coming Summer 2015
- Calibre: An open source e-book library manager for Linux, Mac and Windows platforms.
- Scrivener: “The biggest software advance for writers since the word processor.”
- Workflowy: The organizational tool that makes me smile. What I use to write Show Notes.
Tweet this Quotes
No matter how brilliant your mind or strategy, if you’re playing a solo game, you’ll always lose to a team. ~ Reid Hoffman, founder of LinkedIn
Like this show? Please give it a share.