Define Success with TechStars Patriot Boot Camp Alumni (PS038)
Meet Tak Lo
Startup Ronin. Thinker, Operator. Formerly Director Techstars London, ex-Founder/CEO (x2), US Army Enlisted, London Business School, University of Chicago. Triathlete.
Tak’s a TechStars Patriot Boot Camp Alumni and Former Director of Techstars London. Currently, he’s transitioning to Hong Kong.
I met Tak at TechStars Patriot Boot Camp in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- RallyPoint: Join military members and veterans interested in military transition. Share your knowledge and build your network.
In today’s episode, Tak answers:
- How’d you prepare for your TechStars Patriot Boot Camp talk?
- Why did you decide to leave TechStars London?
- What are the main differences between startups in TechStars US and startups in TechStars London?
- What’s one of the most interesting companies you came across at TechStars?
- At TechStars Patriot Boot Camp, you said you had failed at 2 ventures. What’s the main thing you learned from each of those experiences?
- What’s a challenge you’re experience right now in either life or business?
- What’s something you wish you can delegate?
- What do you love most about being a veteran entrepreneur?
- What would you say your greatest strength is?
- What’s your favorite thing to do in the world?
- What’s your definition of success?
- How do you know if you’re on the brink of burning out? And what do you do to prevent it?
Discussion Questions, Comment Below:
- Say you were on Donald Trump’s Apprentice, and Trump tasked you with creating and hosting your own podcast. What would your podcast be about? Comment below!
- If you can have lunch with anyone in the world, who would it be and what would you ask them? Surprising answer from Tak. Watch video above and then comment below with your own response.
Apps and Articles Mentioned
- Asana: Move work forward. Asana is the easiest way for teams to track their work—and get results.
- Slack: Slack brings all your communication together in one place. It’s real-time messaging, archiving and search for modern teams. More than a million people are using Slack every day now. Get $100.00 in free credit by signing your team up here.
- 1776: 1776 is a global incubator and seed fund helping startups transform industries that impact millions of lives every day—education, energy & sustainability, health, transportation and cities.
- American Underground: The Startup Hub Of The South
- What Makes Uber Run via Fast Company
- The Education of Airbnb’s Brian Chesky via Fortune
- Nick Baucom: Marine Moves From Bankrupt to $4 Million (PS018)
- RideScout: RideScout was founded by Craig Cummings and Joseph Kopser, two Army veterans, turned technology entrepreneurs.
- Fred Wilson: 5 Essential Tips for Start-up Success
- Michel Cassius: French Connect London and one of Tak’s mentors.
- John Bradford: Managing Director at Techstars and also one of Tak’s mentors.
- David Goggins on mental toughness
- Citymapper: Real-time transit directions for bus, subway and rail. A to B trip planning with ETA including all modes of transportation.
- The Mission, The Men, and Me by Pete Blaber: A book about the complexities of combat that’s just as applicable for dealing with the complexities of business and our personal lives.
- Give and Take by Adam Grant: The balance of being a giver and a taker.
Share a Quote
Mission, Men, and Me.
Life is a triathlon, a marathon…be patient, just get it done.
Like this show? Please give it a share.