Become a Startup Veteran (PS024)
Meet Dean Bundschu
Prior to entering the business world, Dean served as an Infantry Officer in the Army, which included a combat tour as a Company Commander in Iraq.
Before becoming a veteran entrepreneur, he helped hundreds of veteran’s transition from the military into the corporate world while working at Orion International.
He has founded several startups to include PrepChamps which raised $2.2M in funding and became the 3rd largest site in the High School recruiting space.
Recently Dean, along with Air Force veterans Hal Fischer and Jay Kerr, launched Startup Veterans to help veterans become entrepreneurs through, education, mentorship and community.
About Startup Veterans
Startup Veterans empowers veterans to start and grow businesses.
- RallyPoint: Join military members and veterans interested in military transition. Share your knowledge and build your network.
In today’s episode, Dean answers:
- What was one mistake you made when first starting out?
- What’s a challenge you’re experiencing right now?
- What’s the best business advice you ever received?
- What’s one great attribute for a veteran entrepreneur to have?
- Does Startup Veterans create their own courses?
- What makes you different than Techstars Patriot Boot Camp?
- How can someone become a mentor for Startup Veterans?
- What brands or entrepreneurs do you admire, follow and learn from?
- What’s a great habit you’re doing right now?
- As a founder, what do you spend the majority of your day doing?
Key Topics discussed:
- Forrest Gump’s Drafting Technique
- Prioritizing your time as a founder
- The 2 different modes to operate your business in
- The 4 pillars for a veteran entrepreneur to have in order
Apps and Articles Mentioned
- Are You a Veteran’s Organization? by Dan Brillman
- Marine Moves From Bankrupt to $4 Million by Nick Baucom
- Techstars Patriot Boot Camp: TechStars Patriot Boot Camps helps military veterans and spouses build technology companies.
- The Difference Between Motion and Action by Steve Blank
- The Founder Institute: The world’s largest entrepreneur training and startup launch program, helping aspiring founders across the globe build enduring technology companies.
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
Favorite Business Weapon
- WordPress: Web software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog.
Business Weapon for Veterans
- BlueHost: PopSmoke runs on the famous web hosting provider Bluehost, the only hosting service officially recommended by WordPress. If you sign up here through PopSmoke, you’ll get a special offer of shared hosting at $3.95/month for 36 months, as well as a free domain name for a year.
- We Were Soldiers Once…and Young by Harold G. Moore: The battle that changed the war in Vietnam.
- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption.
Recommended Business Books
- Zero to One by Peter Thiel (On PopSmoke’s Recommended Reading List)
- Paypal Wars: Winner of the 2005 Writers Notes Book Award for best business book.
- The Start-up of You by Reid Hoffman
Share a Quote
Never tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. ~ General Patton
Perfect is the enemy of good.
It’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen.
Like this show? Please give it a share.