American Veteran Keeping Up With The Times (PS025)
Meet Brittany Slay
Brittany dropped out of college in 2011 because she ran out of money and student loans terrified her.
She joined the Navy after seeing an ad for free college and a chance to travel the world. After graduating with three different Associate degrees and completing a 9 month deployment to Bahrain, she opted to separate and finish her Senior year of undergrad as a civilian.
She now runs a magazine in Washington, DC called American Veteran Magazine, and loves to feature veterans who are doing cool things. Brittany enjoys being creative and gets her inspiration from observing other people and reading blog posts. She’s been known to instigate.
About American Veteran (AMVETS)
American Veteran is one of the nation’s foremost veterans service organizations (VSOs). American Veteran Magazine strives to become the official magazine for veterans.
- RallyPoint: Join military members and veterans interested in military transition. Share your knowledge and build your network.
In today’s episode, Brittany answers:
- Why did you decide to transition from the military and join American Veteran?
- How do you approach older leadership with your new ideas?
- What attributes to your success?
- What’s the best business advice you received?
- What’s your writing/blogging process?
- How long do you spend researching before writing your content?
- How do you decide what content, topics, and issues go in the magazine?
- What’s a great habit you’re doing right now?
Key Topics discussed:
- Poking the bear
- Organizing your notes
- Tips when pitching a magazine editor
- Future of magazines
Apps and Articles Mentioned
- Terminal Lance: One of the most consistent and top veteran artists in the game.
- Copyblogger: How to Craft Compelling Copy
- BlueStar Families: A platform where military family members can join with civilian communities and leaders to address the challenges of military life.
- Sandbox: Military lifestyle simplified.
- Evernote: My digital brain.
Favorite Small Business Weapon
- Buffer: A smarter way to share on social media. Buffer makes it super easy to share any page you’re reading.
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling: Mindy has lived many lives: the obedient child of immigrant professionals, a timid chubster afraid of her own bike…
- Bossypants by Tina Fey: From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live.
- The First 5 Pages by Noah Lukeman: Reveals the necessary elements of good writing, whether it be fiction, nonfiction, journalism, or poetry, and points out errors to be avoided.
Share a Quote
Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously. ~ Hunter S. Thompson
Stop looking up. Take a second, look around, and appreciate that. ~ Brittany’s Mom
Like this show? Please give it a share.