Active-Duty, Husband, Father, Founder (PS026)
Meet Ryan Hogan
Ryan enlisted in the Navy in 2002 as a Naval Aircrewman. He spent his first seven years as an Airborne Mine Countermeasures Crewman. It was here in 2008, he founded his first company, Warwear, a performance apparel brand that fit the budgets of service members.
After his selection into the Seamen to Admiral program, he attended the Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland and started his second company, Run For Your Lives, the first five-kilometer obstacle race where participants were chased by zombies. Run For Your Lives exploded into a $10M company in less than three years but went insolvent in 2013.
Ryan commissioned in the United States Navy the same year and currently serves as a Surface Warfare Officer on the USS COMSTOCK. His current venture is Pelorus, and he lives in San Diego with his wife and four beautiful children.
Pelorus: A gifting service for military personal to keep them connected with their loved ones back home.
- RallyPoint: You can find service members and veterans like you, discuss military life, and share professional opportunities on the largest growing military network.
In today’s episode, Ryan answers:
- How’d you come up with the name for Pelorus?
- What’s a mistake you made when starting your business?
- What’s one challenge you’re experiencing right now trying to grow your business?
- What’s the best business advice you received?
- What research did you do before deciding this was a business idea you wanted to pursue?
- What’s your plan for a business model?
- How do you plan to market to service members prior to them deploying?
- How do you maintain work/life balance while still being active-duty; a husband, a father; and trying to grow Pelorus?
- How are you preparing for your transition out the military, specifically who are you learning from to grow as a founder?
- What’s a great habit you’re doing right now?
Key Topics discussed:
- Time management techniques
- Smart work/life balance tips
- Instagram for marketing your business
- Organizing your business with Evernote
- Fancy Hands: Fancy Hands waits on the phone, schedules appointments, finds flights and does research for you. They save me around $2,478 a year. Sign up now and get 50% off your first month or 5% off your first year. Get started here.
Favorite Business App and Weapon
- Pelorus: 😉 Your personal gift assistant.
- Slack: Internal communication. Be less busy. More than a million people are using Slack every day now. Get $100.00 in free credit by signing your team up here.
Recommended Business Books
- Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success by Napoleon Hill
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
More recommended books on PopSmoke’s Professional Reading List here.
The only constraints are your beliefs. ~ Ryan Hogan *
* Future PopSmoke Trivia Answer.
Share a Quote
The only constraints are your beliefs. ~ Ryan Hogan
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly. ~ Robert F. Kennedy
Like this show? Please give it a share.